TLC at Free Word offers a diverse range of cutting-edge literary events such as publishing debates and panels, writing workshops and conferences, literary adventure holidays and great literature live. Watch this space to see what’s on, and browse our past events to give you a flavour of the wide range of our work. We are also delighted to recommend the work of other organistions whose work we think might be of interest.
10.00 - 4.00pm
Free Word Centre
29th March 2014
TLC Fiction Masterclass: Your Novel Inside Out
Trusted TLC assessor, novelist Shelley Weiner, will lead three all-day group sessions over the course of three months, working on your novel from the inside out. She’ll be looking at the nuts and bolts of writing and editing, to guide writers to achieve their maximum potential. Shelley will also be offering one-on-one tutorials to each participant, to consolidate the practical skills learned throughout the course, and to help give your novel its best chance of birth and survival. Following on from the success of TLC’s sold-out 2013 Masterclass with Jacob Ross, TLC is proud to offer this intimate fiction-writing experience.
Your Novel Inside Out is for writers just starting out, or those with a specific writing project in mind and with a determination to see that project through to a more cohesive, coherent end product.
Session One: Invention 29 March 2014
Session Two: Construction 26 April 2014
30-minute one-on-one for each participant date tbc
Session Three: Making it Happen 31 May 2014
Plus 50% discount on extract reads by a TLC editor*
Shelley Weiner is a novelist and creative writing tutor. Shelley has run masterclasses for the Guardian, Faber Academy and Skyros Writers’ Lab, and has lectured on the Creative Writing MA at Anglia Ruskin University, as well as for Birkbeck College, the Open University, the Taliesin Trust, the British Council in Israel, and Durham University.
£395 + VAT. 15 places maximum
Click here to book
For a full programme with further information on the details of each workshop, please contact Aki on firstname.lastname@example.org
*Up to 50 pages of prose. Must be submitted by 30 June 2014.
9.00 - 6.15pm
Free Word Centre
13th June 2014
The Literary Conference 2014
The Literary Consultancy is delighted to announce the programme for its 2014 Writing in a Digital Age Literary Conference. TLC’s third conference will be held over three days of panels, workshops and discussion, with pioneering author Cory Doctorow delivering this year’s opening keynote.
Find out more: TLC Literary Conference website
PROGRAMMING HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
- A publishing industry snapshot in a year when Amazon claim that 25% of profits were made from self-publishing, with Steve Bohme (Nielsen Books), James Gill (United Agents), Stephen Page (Faber & Faber), and the Guardian’s Claire Armitstead
- A presentation by some of publishing’s visionaries about how writers can carry their stories across a range of storytelling mediums, including Jon Ingold (Inkle) and Francis Bickmore (Canongate)
- ‘The Writer in the Machine’, a must-not-miss in-depth session led by Orna Ross and entrepreneurial author Joanna Penn, presenting case studies that explore how writers can become ‘creative directors’ of their own careers, and what it takes to succeed in different corners of the market
- Modern book criticism will come in for some hard questioning with book blogging’s first lady, Dovegreyreader and writer and journalist Sam Leith among others, asking whether book reviews have any real value to offer any more
- And back by popular demand: Canon Tales, a rapid-fire presentation that lifts the lid of what drives nine of the UK’s top players in the world of books and digital, including author and journalist Kamila Shamsie, Max Porter (Granta Books), Maggie Fergusson (RSL, and author), Chris Gribble (Writers’ Centre Norwich) and Daniel Cooper (Former Amazon Head of KD Publishing, self-published author)
In addition, this year’s Pen Factor Writing Competition is open to all attending writers for works submitted not currently in print. With the help of Kobo Writing Life, the winner will be offered a year’s access to TLC literary and publishing events at Free Word Centre, and editorial and advisory support. Two runners-up will receive free Kobo e-readers, and a further twelve entrants will also benefit from advice given during a pitching and feedback session run on the bonus third day.
12.00 - 12.00am
20th - 26th September 2014
20th September 2014
TLC Literary Adventure
TLC will be returning to the idyllic Casa Ana in September 2014. This beautiful Spanish home is set within the mesmerizing Alpujarras mountain range in Andalucia, Spain. This year’s week-long writing retreat will be led by award-winning novelist and inspiring tutor Rebecca Abrams. TLC Literary Adventures offers an environment where inspiration and improvisation meet. You will have access to world-class teaching, get a chance to work, read, listen, learn and relax in a stunning setting which will open the mind and senses. The retreat is open to writers of fiction, memoir and general non-fiction, and will include daily workshops, free writing time, readings, and optional trips to the nearby market and a walk in the mountains. Food and accommodation are included in the ticket price.
Rebecca Abrams is an award-winning author and journalist. Her fiction and non-fiction titles include Touching Distance, Three Shoes One Sock & No Hairbrush, The Playful Self, Woman In a Man’s World and When Parents Die.
Rebecca Swift is the founder and Director of The Literary Consultancy. Rebecca has appeared at numerous literary festivals and on many industry panels. She has taught poetry at West Dean College of Further Education, life-writing for the Hackney Music Development Trust and ‘Approaches to Publication’ for Skyros Writers’ Lab.
For more information, including a full itinerary and pricing, please visit www.literaryadventures.co.uk or email email@example.com