Chapter and Verse
Do you want to develop your writing under the guidance of a published author or professional editor? Our unique and highly successful mentoring scheme Chapter and Verse is the ideal option for those serious about their writing and wanting in-depth advice about the publishing world.
“For me, the TLC mentoring scheme provided much better value for money than the writing MA I had previously undertaken . . . Crucially, too, there was no requirement for ‘jumping through the hoops’ of a University’s critical/analytical component. All the energy was focused on improving my novel, and it really paid off.”
Chapter and Verse is designed to work on an international basis as an online scheme and we only work with experienced mentors of the highest quality. The scheme was co-founded in 2007 with Sara Maitland, one of TLC’s most treasured writers and manuscript assessors. Sara had worked on a mentoring scheme with the British Council, and had seen first-hand the value of the on-line editorial support for writers. Rebecca Swift and Sara Maitland developed the unique TLC scheme together, and, with help of Arts Council England, launched the scheme which has become highly valued by writers who embark upon it. Sara brought with her some tried and tested mentors that she rated personally, and TLC has added some new ones. The net result is a cracking team.
- one to one feedback with a tutor who has been specifically chosen to work with your style of writing
- the opportunity to submit up to 10,000 words of prose (or 10 pages of poetry) per session: 6 sessions run over the course of a year, offering you an invaluable level of feedback
- communication with your tutor via email: you can write when and where it suits you (no attending classes at a set time/location), perfect for those juggling professional/family commitments or living overseas
- the chance to attend a TLC industry day at the vibrant Free Word Centre in central London where you’ll meet and learn from major players in the publishing world. See our Watch and Learn section for our TLC industry day introductory video.
- If you cannot attend the industry day in London due to being overseas or travel is difficult for other reasons, then we can provide a cd of part of the industry day for your use only
- a full TLC editorial assessment after completion of the course: your work will be read by one of our team of excellent editors (see TLC Editorial for information on our Readers)
- the opportunity to be recommended to literary agents and publishers by TLC, should your final work be suitable
- a professional in-house team at TLC, on hand to help with all aspects of your mentoring process
Chapter and Verse is priced competitively at £1,750 plus VAT
TLC’s mentoring scheme provides the chance to develop work in an encouraging environment, but it’s unique in also offering a realistic assessment. This combination of personal attention and truthful critical advice is ideal for anyone who is serious about their writing.
Joanna Briscoe, author of Sleep With Me, Bloomsbury